World of White Dudes is a collection of 10,000 NFT white dudes, each billed as unique, cool, and diverse.
Each white dude is an Ethereum-based ERC-721 NFT, and is randomly generated based on different rare traits.
Maybe He’s Born with It: Maybe It’s Bob from Accounting
The World of White Dudes NFT attributes fall into two categories: “Outer Uniqueness” and “Inner Beauty”
The Outer Uniqueness attribute includes:
- Different skin tones: some are tan.
- Glasses or no glasses.
- Clothing: long sleeves, short sleeves, button-downs. Some have wine stains.
- Different stages of baldness: no accounting department would be complete with it.
- “Rare features” such s a golden tooth, or no tooth.
The Inner Beauty attribute includes:
- Names: All of them being named Bob, their names are office nicknames such as Old Bob or Retired Bob or Rich Bob (lucky guy) and so on.
- Regrets: Each Bob has a hint of a personal life narrative; the hidden trait of “regrets” like “regret not being a better parent” or “regrets losing touch with friends” One of the rarest traits is a Bob without any regrets– heavy is the head that belongs to a Bob.
- Happiness: Every Bob has a happiness score out of 100.
About The Project: World of White Dudes NFT
World of White Dudes NFT was released on Wednesday September 29, 2021 with the following smart contract address: https://etherscan.io/address/0xD00D1e06a2680E02919f4F5c5EC5dC45d67bB0b5#code
It’s on the Ethereum blockchain as an ERC-721, using IPFS for filehosting.
There are 10,000 NFTs in the collection, with 250 withheld from sale for giveaways, marketing purposes, and for the team.
Bobs are available to be minted for 0.05 ETH. The OpenSea floor is currently at 0.2 ETH with a volume of 0.30 ETH.
World of White Dudes NFT: An Analysis
The project is a satirical tango between NFT culture and the concept of diversity.
We can only assume it started as a joke among friends and spiraled into the creation and launch of a live NFT project, and we suspect many OpenSea launches share this same origin story.
As it stands today, World of White Dudes is a unique snapshot of Internet culture in an interesting time: digital artwork is selling for millions of dollars, the idea of diversity has been manipulated by marketing teams and corporate activists to the point of becoming inane.
Ultimately, it seems World of White Dudes is a playful joke– less art than social commentary, but most of all, something that optimizes for reactions between a tepid “oh wow, really?” to a “this is hilarious, why?”
An interesting point to glean from the project is the “silent” attribute of regrets– NFTs generally don’t have a story or dialogue attached to them, and this is the first project we’ve seen that bakes in a unique narrative as an attribute.
Is World of White Dudes NFT a Good Investment?
We’d put WOWD in the same categorical neighborhood of RAREPEPEs, one of which recently sold for a whopping $500k.
Are we implying World of White Dudes has a value remotely close to RAREPEPEs? Absolutely not– but we also don’t make the rules for how the Internet embraces art and memes.
Trying to ascertain the potential value of a project as satirical as World of White Dudes in its nascent stages is like looking into a kaleidoscope– but perhaps the most productive analysis is to gauge how many unique owners end up minting and holding onto Bobs, at least enough to understand how the secondary market reacts to them.
World of White Dudes: Find Your Bob